Monday, February 25, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things...

Phone calls from Dixie Jean Dittbrenner! She is my sweet little dolly! I was having a really hard day, and crying to myself in the car... and she called full of tears and asked me what I do when I am really sad and need to cheer up. (She was having a really hard day too.) She reminded me that we need to count our blessings, and find little things to be happy about. So I have made up a little list that I keep by my computer for future reminders.

I have had a couple of really overwhelming days lately. My little Cole needs surgery (again) and it is scary every single time. I don't get used to it. It doesn't get easier. My little miracle needs to stop throwing up, because he has to get bigger. The doctors want to change his g-tube to a j-tube. (j-peg?) Is it more invasive, and will be harder for him. He needs to wear his backpack 21 hours a day now. It just gets overwhelming. And sometimes I don't know how to deal with all the emotions these medical delimas bring. The only way to describe it is a huge sense of being so overwhelmed. It gets hard to breath. I feel like I am drowning. But then it gets better.

Robyn Robinson... a wonderful doctor at Children's Hospital of Orange County who calls to check on us and really loves Cole. She is an angel in our lives. We are so lucky to have her, and she makes our lives better. She is a member of our stake, and she was in the ward I grew up in in Irvine. It is just a huge coincidence that she is a part of our GI doctor's team.

Cole's smile and voice... He is such a happy little guy. I am sobbing as I write this... because he is such a tremendous spirit. Having him in our home is a huge blessing and I don't know what I could have done to deserve this amazing blessing in my life. He is a noble and great warrior in Heavenly Father's army. I am honored to be his mother.

Carrie Collins... No matter how flaky I am, or how often I forget to send thank you notes... She is always there to help me when I need her. She just comes when I need her most. I think Heavenly Father just knew I would need someone to help me through these years. I hope somehow she will someday know what her friendship has meant to me.

A Brother and Sisters... Chuck has always sent me mother's day cards. Long before I had Brighton, he sent me the most beautiful and thoughtful cards. I keep them out and re-read them often. They mean the world to me.

And sisters... where do I begin. I love them all so much. Amy, Ashley, Mitzi, Lani and Tiffany. They are my strength. I strive to live to be just like them. They are my heroes. I am incredibly blessed to have been given five such amazing spirits to have in my eternal family.

From sitting by my hospital bed while I was almost dying... to driving to Barstow to pick up my boys. Phone calls to Brighton and giving him someone to look up to and wanting to be just like. And just being there, where I know I can call and hear their voice and know that tomorrow will be better. I love my sisters and the husbands they choose to marry. The best part of having such great brothers in law are having four fantastic men for my sons to admire and look up to.

Billy... You are everything I never knew I always wanted. Thank you for taking "Cole's side of the bed".

Brighton the great! This boy is such a terrific kid! My little soccer monster is growing up too fast. I am crazy in love with Brighton. I get a kick out of everything he does. He is truly a great kid to have in my life. Okay, so a funny Brighton story.

I am a crazy fan for some of the reality TV shows. Love Beauty and the Geek... Didn't miss an episode of Crowned... the Mother of All Pagents, and tivo'ed every episode of Pussycat Dolls, the Search for the Next Doll. Well... The Pussycat Dolls is all singing and dancing... albeit a bit skanky dancing. But I love the costumes and the dancing is amazing. These girls are rockin' and they can really dance. I love that it is "show" dancing.

Well, they are rockin' and singing their songs and I turn it on and sing along with them. My boys and I will sing and dance together... It's all good. So one one night Brighton is kneeling by his bed saying his night time prayers, and he says, "Thank you for the pussycat dollies that dance on TV."

Ummmm. I don't know what to say.... Possibly note to self to be more cautious on what shows I watch with my sons. I guess I am glad he is a fan... He's all male. But definitely going to censor what we watch!

9 comments:

Liz Kirkby said...

i'm sorry you are going through hard times again. im giving a lesson in RS on Sunday on Adversity...perhaps this scripture will be of comfort to you: Alma 36:3

keep us posted on him! and when are you getting sealed? love, liz

Tiffany said...

Char, we love you too. You were always the one I looked to also to be happy. You were always my "Pollyanna". Love you!

Also... oh no... he is what, 4 and loves the pussycat dolls... yeah, maybe not the best thing! But so funny! HAha!

Pam said...

My Sweet Char,
You are an amazing mother and such a miracle mom to your sons. I tell others about you often, of your strength and your spirit. By the way, can I send your story of Cole that you wrote in to the Ensign? That's Cole Story...not Brighton's of the pussycats!
I love you,
Aunt Pam

Heherjo said...

Char, sorry to hear your going through hard times. I hope things will get better. You're an amazing family. You should read the kirkby blog cuz brian wrote a post that was so cute!

Mitzi said...

That was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your heartaches along with the celebrations. I love how Tiff said you are her Pollyanna. Oh and just in case you didn't know, heherjo is Heather Redding AKA Heather Ashton.

Anonymous said...

I love you Char! I really hope things get better for you!
haha I really like Brighton now. thats so cute!

Chuck Gates said...

Well I bet Brighton is not the first male to be grateful for the pussycat dolls. LOL.

Hope you are feeling better. We love you all.

bcre8uv said...

It was so fun to chat with you today!

I just tagged you on my blog, so now you're gonna have to update. :)

http://bcre8uv.typepad.com

Tami

MeiLani and Michael said...

So funny! I love you guys so much. I'm so glad that I called Brighto yesterday because I hadn't even read this! ... which by the way- he never called us back!

We love you Char.