Sunday, July 24, 2011

I am a great granddaughter of the pioneers...

We celebrate Pioneer Day this weekend. We honor and remember those who paved the way for us to have this amazing plan of happiness in our lives here today.

Tonight Bill and I went to see the movie 17 Miracles. It was simply amazing. I cried HARD throughout the entire show. It was beautifully done. (The movie, not my crying!!) What a sweet story of love, commitment and faith. Most of all, faith.

Sometimes I wonder why they had to struggle so much. Why, when God could have easily given them everything they needed, did they have to live through such heartache, pain and sorrow.

President Faust spoke of the “terrible price in the agony and suffering for the faith” paid by the Willie and Martin companies. “We wonder why a kind and merciful God did not temper the elements to spare them from their profound agony. I think I have found the answer to my own satisfaction. I may be wrong, but I believe their lives were consecrated to a higher purpose through their suffering and their example. Their love for the Savior was burned deep into their souls and into the souls of their children and their children’s children, and it will be so forever.”

There is a beautiful quote at the end of the movie that I wish I could remember (or find) that is from President Hinkley. It reminds us to remember, remember who we are and what an amazing heritage is ours. It is a wonderful quote. Someone please find it for me! While I was searching for it, I found these other thoughts that I loved.

“We each can learn much from our early pioneer ancestors, whose struggles and heartaches were met with resolute courage and an abiding faith in a living God. … Youth and children were among the thousands who pulled and pushed handcarts or walked along that pioneer trail, just as they are among the Saints today who are pioneering in their own areas throughout the world. I think that there is not a member of this Church today who has not been touched by the accounts of the early pioneers. Those who did so much for the good of all surely had as their objective to inspire faith. They met the goal in a magnificent manner”. - President Thomas S. Monson


Elder M. Russell Ballard said, “We must be sure that the legacy of faith received from the pioneers who came before us is never lost. Let their heroic lives touch our hearts, and especially the hearts of our youth, so the fire of true testimony and unwavering love for the Lord and His Church will blaze brightly within each one of us as it did in our faithful pioneers.”

Elder Holland said. “We owe the same pioneering, persevering legacy to our children and our children’s children.”

No comments: