Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th

It's the time to show the world we're strong, we won't be terrorized.
Evil's not allowed to win when you've got Heaven on your side.
It's for the ones we've lost that we stand up strong today,
Our flag still stands for Freedom, and they can't take that away!

I am proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.
I won't forget the ones that died on that Tuesday morning.
And we're going to stand up and see it through and defend her still today.
'Cause we'll never fall when we all stand... Gob Bless the USA!

Grandpa and grandma were married on a three day leave because they just couldn't bear not knowing that they would be together if something were to happen while he was at war.
A gunner in an airplane over Japan in World War 2.

To this day he aches to go back over there and "make sure they are all right." He hated what he had to do, because even then he saw the bigger picture and knew that these were his brothers and sisters. But he was called to protect, and he is a hero.

My dad and mom got married on an army leave also. Something about not knowing if they would come back all right makes for an ever lasting love. The strength of their commitment is amazing. I am lucky to have them as my own examples.

It isn't so different today. Soldiers called to protect, to defend. I am so grateful to them in seeing the bigger picture. Keeping my little family safe. Free to believe as we choose. I pray for their safety, their courage and their honor. Brighton says he wants to be an army guy when he grows up. Whatever branch he chooses, I would be honored to be a mother of a soldier. Terrified, of course, but then there is always a bigger picture, and Heavenly Father needs strong armies to do his work. One of Brighton's favorite shows to watch is the Living Scriptures Armies of Helaman story. It shows such courage and strength in defending what you believe true.

Seven years ago planes flew into buildings, and I was forever changed. It was no longer about history, and stories from long ago. This was my life, and my country. Those were my buildings. I had just been there a few years earlier. I am so thankful for a government that chose to protect us. That continues to take a stand to keep us safe. Safer than it would be. I am proud to be an American.

We are safe and free and happy. Thank you to every person today who has fought to defend our freedom and liberties. I promise to teach my children of your sacrifice.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Charise you are Awesome!!

Ashley said...

So sweet Char. You brought tears to my eyes.

I can't beleive how big Cole is. We miss you.

Marc and Shay said...

Thanks for that! I agree it is a wonderful tribute, thanks for sharing your family story as well.

Anonymous said...

Charise, I was thrilled to read your patriotic writings. I too am proud to be an American and have been for just over 2 years. Being raised on an army base in Canada helped to instill a great respect for the price that has been paid for our freedoms. You are truly Awesome and I feel so blessed just to know you.
Elaine