Here is a part of a fun conversation we had.
Bright: MOM!! MOM!! (as he runs in the front door.) I'M MEXICAN!!
Me: What?
Bright: I AM MEXICAN!!!
Me: Ummm, ok, yes, you are Latin American.
Bright: Mom, that means Mexican. And my mommy Annette is Mexican.
ME: Yes, you're right. Are you so excited because you are Mexican? (Choosing to skip the lesson on parts of South America until I remember to look up where exactly mommy Annette is from. And choosing instead to find out why he is so excited about this fact right this minute, when he has always known his nationality.)
Bright: We have to do a report on our culture, and my culture is Mexican.
Me: It is? (Racking my brain to think what in my home is giving him the feeling of a "Mexican Culture")
Bright: Well, my Mexican family eats a lot of corn and tortilla's.
Me: Well, you love tortilla's, but you won't eat corn.
Bright: Now I do like corn. I like it because I am Mexican.
Me: Great! Tomorrow at the beach party you can eat lots of corn and tortilla's!
Bright: AWESOME!!! I LOVE BEING MEXICAN!
So, this is where I need help.
#1, Does anyone know of any special ways to celebrate being Latin/Egyptian/African American?
Any special occasions, celebrations, stories, foods, etc. Anything to honor or celebrate a "culture".
#2, We celebrate our adoption day, and this is where I want to start focusing in on each child's special culture. Any adoption day ideas from any of you out there?
Let me know!
Thanks all
1 comment:
That's so great. I think what makes this even more funny is that I just read Mitzi's post titled "I'm Canadian!"
Post a Comment