As you read my posts, you might have noticed that in debating with health insurance, loving a very sick little 5 year old and absolutely adoring a wonderful 8 year old with autism has made for an overwhelming week.
As I was walking into the hospital I started to have what I think is a panic attack. I couldn't breath, my chest felt like someone was sitting on it, and I felt those huge sobs in my throat. I took some deep breaths and walked into the lobby. As we made our way down to where we needed to check in for pediatric specialty I knew that I was going to explode any minute.
I felt like I just needed someone to understand what I was going through. I called my darling cousin Ruth who's daughter Davy has a lot of similar issues as Cole. She answered her phone and I started sobbing. Through my tears I told her where I was and what I was doing and that it was all so foreign and new and I did not have any routines in place. She was so cute and said exactly what I needed to hear. "Charise, this will all be your normal in a few months. This will be your place where you feel safe and taken care of." It was exactly what I told her a year and a half ago when she was starting with Davy Jean. We talked about the struggles of parenting a child with such amazing and specific needs, and then I was ok again. It's funny how just the love and understanding of a friend can totally get you through what needs to be done.
From there on our experience was amazing. The check in lady went out of her way to explain the procedures to us. She printed out some paperwork for the insurance that she did not need to, but it will make my life so much easier. (Proof of his insurance and that it is active in case anyone gives me grief over it, which always happens.)
The doctor, Ashley Sutton was fantastic! She sat down and went through all of Cole's needs, medications, refills, feeding supplies, formula's, and anything else she could think of. We were there for 3 and a half hours! Their team community care director sat with me for a long time helping me coordinate all of Cole's future needs. (i.e. GI specialist, Pulminoligist, ENT, Speech, Feeding Therapy, Nutritionist, Psychologist, etc.)
I left the hospital happier than I have been in months! The relief was so great! I called Bill and told him the ONLY thing that could have made it better was if they would have been handing out free starbucks hot cocoa's in the lobby. :) (For those who don't know, when I have a big day of doctor's appointments with Cole, my reward for being a happy mommy is to stop and get a Starbucks for me and a treat for Cole.) Then I told him that I had to stop at Target on my way home to get a few things for Kids Are Music the next day. So I walk into Target, and your not gonna believe this... They had a STARBUCKS in Target with a small sign that said, "Question of the day... Answer this and get a FREE HOT CHOCOLATE!!!! Which president made Thanksgiving into a National Holiday in 1863."
Duh!!!! Abraham Lincoln! I literally burst into song at Target.
Best Day in a really long time!
This picture is from the summer when Cole and I were coming home from his pre -op for his most recent vocal chord surgery.
ps. Cole is doing well. Still home from school, but up and about. All in all, feeling good.
pps. Lani, thanks so much for watching savvy today for me. It really helped not to have her home with Cole while he was miserable. Mitzi, thanks for inviting Billy, Bright and Savvy over to the park. I am so glad Brighton got to have some fun with your kids. I love you both and living by you is amazing!
1 comment:
You are so amazing Charise, you really are! I've missed you guys so much since you've been gone and it is so good to be able to read your posts and hear how your lives are going. I'm so sorry you've had to go through so much stress lately, I wish I was there to give you a big hug!! Sending you bundles of love from CA!
PS. The holidays are not the same without KAM, so every morning on the way to school we pop in our KAM holiday CD and sing with the windows rolled down :)
Love you guys!!!
Post a Comment